Wednesday, February 10, 2010

FYI: It's Winter!

I’m not sure if you’ve heard the rumor, but I can confirm it for you: Boston is pretty darn cold in the winter. So imagine my surprise when one of our local weather men (I won’t name names, but he may work for a peacock) went on and on yesterday about how warm it was. Apparently the sun really got us heated in the afternoon, and we hit a nice and comfy 38 degrees.

Call me crazy, but 38 isn’t what I call “warm.” It isn’t even what I call “comfortable,” but I bought his jive and fully believed that my 2-mile run after work would include a tiny touch of spring (cue songbirds and flower buds bursting open through snow patches).

This, however, was NOT the case.

It seemed JUST as cold as my last two runs: My throat ached; my muscles tightened. The wind blew in my ears. It was February weather. When I got back into my apartment and got ready to shower, I noticed that my skin was bright red and as dry as a tumbleweed. It was not pretty.

I guess part of my disappointment can be blamed on the fact that I’m still getting used to running outside in general. I have clocked most of miles on gym treadmills, but I knew that if I wanted to run a half marathon, I needed to hit the pavement. So far, it has gone better than I expected, but I’m not sure if I’ll ever get used to the frigid temperatures, blustery winds, and other lovely tidbits associated with Boston winters.

No comments:

Post a Comment